As I said in my last post, the young model I photographed asked if we could do something a bit different, so I tried to oblige.
For this first shot I took six shots of her with a single sword in different positions. I then cut off the arm with the sword (metaphorically speaking) on five of the shots and added them to the sixth image. As the shots were taken against a black background it wasn’t too difficult to replace the background with sky shot. I then applied the blur to the sword and the arms to try to give an impression of movement. All of this was done using Photoshop CS2 (very old now – it was a while ago that it was done). She was pleased with the end result.
The idea behind this was based on a genie in a bottle. The aim was to try to make it look as though the genie was about to burst out of the bottle. The composite was created from a shot of the bottle which had lots of nice golden bubbles in it against a black background, and a shot of the girl also against a black background taken from slightly above. The cut-out of the girl was blended into the bottle to try to make her look as though she was actually in the liquid and then a glow applied to the bottom and the top. Again, the model was pleased with the end result.
These were some of my first attempts at doing this kind of compositing and I think I will have to start playing with them again. There is now increased flexibility with Photoshop CC and some very good software to assist with preparing cut-outs. One thing’s for sure, it’s much easier than when I used to try compositing black & white negatives ready for the enlarger !